The Truth is out there

Although Many believe different things if you allow yourself to ask the question someone out there will give you an answer. If your looking for that here you should seek medical help quick...

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I could have walked away!

Had fun last night playing poker until the last hand (of course). I get dealt A/Q offsuit. That in of itself should be my biggest indicator to lay the hand down. I hate A/Q. SO here's how the hand plays out:

I'm in the small blind w/ As Qh it has been raised to 5 bucks before it gets to me and I call (mistake numero uno)

flop comes out Spade Spade Spade (wahoo I'm on the nut flush draw). I'm first to act so I bet 4 bucks everyone folds except the button who raises it to 15. Ok so I lay it down I tell everyone it's been a fun night and I take home 68 dollars I made my money back and a bit of Ashleys that she lost I'm a happy man. NOT EXACTLY! (mistake number 2) I make the call.

Turn Jack o diamonds comes out. Sweet so now I'm on a gut shot straight draw and the nut flush draw but I have a psycho raiser behind me so I check. He goes all-in. I go into the tank hard. I know he has the flush already and I am thinking if I feel like tryin to catch one of the only (supposed) 6 spades left out there. it's a 12% chance to hit. This was a bad mistake I needed to walk away it's not worth I played great I made all my money back after being way short stacked.

Oh yea I call and the beautiful 3 of Diamonds is the river. Good night everybody that was sucky.

But I got up I didn't cuss or really do anything other than shake everyone's hand and say goodnight. So here's my synopsis of my night. I play ok with my first twenty but end up needing to rebuy. On my second twenty I double up with Aces once I triple up with Aces once I won two medium sized pots with K7 twice in a row and a third win in a row with K/10 off. Other than the last hand I was picking up hands I was taking down pots. I don't see where I was outplayed once. It was a good night I gambled on one hand it didn't work out and I walk away with no money. but that's not the total point. I played good and when it came down to it I got unlucky to come up against that hand as the last hand. total money before that pot 72.75. I would have walked away with 155.50 if I win. I would have been a real happy man. Thanks Todd where are you buyin me lunch at?

Peace Out!

4 Comments:

At August 02, 2006 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a hard laydown for you I know. Technicaly you did the right play...I think. Allthough with it being the last play of the evening I personally would have folded and walked away, but I don't play so I don't really have room to talk. I do have to say I can't tell you how much I appreciate the method in which you took this beat, with equanimity and class vs throwing shit and causing a ruckus. As for buying you lunch, I look at my role as a dealer like this. Good things I get rewarded for, bad things are just the luck of the draw. This is most often referred to in nature as the "sports athlete and their relation to a deity" phenomenon. Illustrated thusly. When a team wins the player intervews commonly praise said deity for helping them play "110%" and helping them to "want it more" while those same players never say "We were doing great until Jesus made me fumble" :-) That being said, anytime you want to head on this way for lunch I'd be more than happy to join you and perhaps even buy you lunch.

 
At August 02, 2006 11:01 AM, Blogger Tanniyn said...

Correct Sir. I would never put my loses in the hands of the Dealer. I heard you comment when the hand was going that if you didn't throw down the card I was looking for I'd never talk to you again. I know you are just joking but I would never stop talking to you because I put money into a hand I shouldn't have been in. You did a good job last night and I would hate for your enjoyment of the evening be tainted by my actions. Bottom line is I put the money in you did not. After all I have no room to complain if it wasn't for cards you dealt I would have been out A LOOOONG time before that. It's not too often I double and triple up having Aces. That was damn nice and in my opinion worthy enough for me to buy you lunch. I had fun I hope you did also and I look forward to next time.

 
At August 02, 2006 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a big difference between pushing all-in with the worst hand (or drawing hand) and calling a BIG bet with a calling hand. The problem was, you were stuck in the middle of the "perfect storm". The fact that it was the last hand of the night made it real easy to "gamble". I don't think there is any way possible that, under normal circumstances, Danial would raise $5 with K/8 of spades. Calling, however is what did you in. If you feel you have the best hand, it's better to raise right there rather than just calling. You are letting the bettor remain in control of the hand.

On the flop, when he bet out $15, it's at that moment that you have to decide how committed you are to the hand. You have to decide how much you are willing to call on that betting round, the betting round on the turn and on the river. IF you decide you are committed to the hand, you are better off doing the betting, rather than the calling. Put your opponent to the test. Check/calling is weak play. You want to be the aggressor in the hand. Had you bet out $10, it's quite likely that he would have re-raised. He probably puts you on Ace of spades (but not the made flush.) It's at that point that you can make your decision to either stick all your money in the pot with 2 cards to come, rather than getting to the turn, missing your draw and THEN having to decide if you want to risk it all with 1 card to go. I realize the differences in how the hand played out are slight. But, by doing the original betting, you are driving rather than being taken for a ride.

I was thinking about the way you handled the beat. I think you realized when you got your money in the pot that you were WAY behind. I think that really helped you take the lose without too much fanfare. Regardless, you did handle it well. It was a HUGE pot. Likely the biggest pot that we have seen at the home game.

 
At August 02, 2006 7:25 PM, Blogger Tanniyn said...

I've gone over the hand a couple more times in my head and I still come to the same conclusion. I am not even mad. I was gamblig I knew I was gambling I knew what I was up against. Even if I bet more than my 4 bucks on the flop he still calls. He played the hand perfectly I couldn't get away from it. I had hit a bunch of hands that night and it seemed like the perfect time to gamble. K/8 is not that great of a hand but it was suited and it worked out. Ashley and I were both playing with last weeks winnings so there was no bad blood with thinking we just keep hemorrhaging money. We both had fun and dammit I hate A/Q. But I am kinda glad that there was a limited audience since I don't think I would have liked the rush of unwanted advice from everyone. I would like to know what Charles would have done though.

p.s. Thank you Todd for commenting on how I took the beat. That means more to me than a lot of things since I know how I can get.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home